Sunday, May 25, 2014

Life's a Hoot Card Tutorial

I have another card tutorial for you today. This one is a star shaped card with a cute owl.


Materials:
- heavy-weight cardstock for the cardbase (I used Neenah 110lb Solar White cardstock)
- lighter-weight white cardstock for stamping on (I used Neenah 80lb Solar White cardstock)
- heavy-weight yellow cardstock (I used My Favorite Things Heavy-Weight cardstock in Lemon Drop)
- pattern paper with a night sky or dark blue cardstock will also do
- star-shaped stackable dies (I used Lawn Fawn's Puffy Star Stackables, the two largest dies in the set)
- a die cutting machine (I used the Sizzix Big Shot)
- a stamp of an owl (I used one from The Greeting Farm)
- a sentiment stamp saying "Life's a Hoot" (I didn't have one so I used Avery Elle's Lovely Letters stamp set to stamp the sentiment a letter at a time, that really tested my patience, lol!)
- a banner stamp (I used Lawn Fawn's Bannerific stamp set)
- Copic markers
- fine glitter glue, this is optional (I used the Wink of Stella Brush in GL Clear)
- black ink (I used Versafine ink in Onyx Black)
- clear embossing powder and a heating tool, these are optional if you want to heat emboss the owl and sentiment (I used Recollections Clear Embossing Powder)
- adhesives: liquid, foam, and double-sided (I used Tombo Mono Multi Liquid Glue, Scrapbook Adhesive 3D Foam Squares, and Sookwang Score Tape)
- scissors for fussy cutting

Step 1:
Stamp the owl image on cardstock. I usually heat emboss all of my images before I colour them with Copic markers, but this step is not necessary if you use Tsukineko's Momento ink.

Step 2:
With the die cutting machine cut out four outlines of a star using the two largest star dies in the Lawn Fawn Puffy Star Stackalbes die set. These will become the boarder around the card.

Step 3:
Glue the four star outlines together into a stack to create a chipboard-like boarder.

Step 4:
With the die cutting machine cut out two more stars using the largest star die. One out of the night sky pattern paper and one out of heavy-weight cardstock.

Step 5:
Make a score line (on the heavy weight cardstock) about half way down one of the points of the star. This will allow the card to fold open once it is assembled.

Step 6:
Use the strongest double-sided adhesive you can find, I recommend the Sookwang Score Tape. Cover the tip of the star with adhesive down to where the score line is.

Step 7:
Glue the night sky pattern paper to the back of the star boarder (sorry I forgot to take a picture of that). And then tape the white cardstock to the back of the pattern paper.

Step 8:
Stamp the banner and sentiment onto white cardstock (heat emboss it if you like). Colour the banner blue and then fussy cut it out. 

Step 9:
Use foam adhesive to tape the owl and sentiment onto the card. If you choose to make the star boarder sparkly then do step 10 before adhering the owl and sentiment.

Step 10 (optional):
Add glitter into the star boarder to give it some sparkle. I used the Wink of Stella Bursh because I love the fine glittery effect that it makes.

Finished card:

I hope you enjoyed this card tutorial and thanks for visiting,
Cheryl ~

No comments:

Post a Comment