Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Week 2 Day1 - Happy Birthday, Daddy!

Yay, another new card! I can't believe it's already the second week of the card class. Today (Monday) we got a new colour combo and three new sketches. Kristina, Jennifer, and Jean were all very inspiring. And the new colour combo is just perfect for my dad's birthday card. (Hopefully he doesn't see this card before he receives it!) Here's the card I made for today's assignment and my dad's birthday. I took a whole lot of pictures of this card, because I really love how it turned out! =)

I made the card base with an acetate sheet. 

For some reason my dad really likes hippos. Personally, I think they are very scary. But as long as Daddy likes them I will make a card for him with hoppos. =P The pair of hoppos represent me and my dad. Hehehe. My dad is super skinny in real life though.

The happy birthday sentiment is actually stamped on the inside of the card. I love how acetate allows you to do that. I used a light blue coloured card stock for the inside of the card so that it looks like the sky when the card is closed.


This is a close up to show the details. The water and grass is actually placed behind the acetate and the hippos are on top. It's difficult to see in this picture. I used a stylus to crease wavy lines in the paper before inking (or buffing) it with Distress Inks in Broken China and Tumbled Glass.

To see my homework assignment from past days please click the links below.

Thanks for visiting,
Cheryl ~

16 comments:

  1. This is outstanding! I am sure your Dad will love this card. I love the way you put the whole picture together from the inside out. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! I might have to copy it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Scraphappy! No, no, it's not copying. It's called sharing of ideas and inspiring one another! Hehehe ^_^
      Please share your card with me after you are done. I would REALLY love to see it!!

      Delete
  3. So adorable! I have to try an acetate card sometime. Great little scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been playing with acetate a lot lately. I love all the wonderful things you can do with them! I buy my acetate sheets from a local scrapbooking store and they come in 12x12 sheets for (if I remember correctly) 60 cents each. It's much cheaper than buying pre-cute and pre-folded acetate cards. And not to mention a lot easier than collecting plastic packaging. ^_^

      Delete
  4. This is just wonderful, I think the hippos are so cute! Love the way you used accetate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I forgot to mention on my post that the hippo image came from the Pixel Paper Prints store on Etsy. Her digital images are really adorable! =)

      Delete
  5. This is amazing. I love the hippos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! The hippos are digital stamps from the Pixel Paper Prints store on Etsy! She has a lot of really cute digital stamp images.

      Delete
  6. Super cute card...your Dad will love it!! I need to make my Dad a birthday card with this color combo too...it's perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I agree, this colour combo is perfect for all the special guys in our lives! ^_^

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sara! Really appreciate your love and kind words! ^_^

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! This is absolutely adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I know this is a year late, but I spotted this card on the side of your blog while checking out a card for the watercolor online gallery and had to comment. It is super adorable!! Love how you have done the waves and the little clouds. Everything about it is cute!!

    ReplyDelete